Wednesday, October 30, 2013

PRAYER

One of the greatest experiences that best prepared me to serve overseas has to be the times spent with other individuals in prayer.  Learning to faithfully be on my knees in prayer and how to petition to our God on behalf of other lives as well as my own life has been the key that has opened doors for us in our lives and work.  I even remember the very first time my youth minister asked me to pray out loud for our group.  I was extremely nervous and unsure of what I was doing, but it was the start of learning how to pray.  Since that day I have sat in prayer meetings where I would listen to mature believers, who obviously knew what they were doing as they were bold and confident before our Father in their requests, and I would learn from the examples they set before me.  They did not know of course the huge impact they were making on this new little prayer warrior, but they were.  I would hear passion in their voices as they spoke with God and I could only imagine what their times with God were like spent behind closed doors.  I wanted that passion and thirst for God as well.   When I would pray behind my closed door at first, and for quite a few years, I would quickly run out of things to pray for.  I would have a very empty head all of a sudden when it came to my time in prayer.  Over the years I would learn how to use God’s own Word in my prayer times and so as I poured over scripture I would underline verses I could use in petitioning for myself and others.  I learned the purpose in prayer and the many different types of prayer.  The very first time I sat in a prayer meeting that went longer than one hour, my awareness of God’s presence in our time before Him grew.  After spending four hours of prayer with these women I began to understand how to thirst and hunger more for Him.  Prayer is simply sitting with the Lord and placing all of our attention on Him as we speak His promises and pour out our hearts to Him.  My prayer life deepened more and more as my time with Him alone became fuller.  I no longer would sit running quickly out of things to pray for, but instead I would pour over His promises in scripture and take hold of them and as I would do that the Holy Spirit would speak clearly into my heart the things He wanted me to petition for. The prayer time would not stop during that quiet time in my day.. it would continue as I would go about my day and the Holy Spirit would keep speaking into my heart what to pray for next.  I learned how growing close to the Lord really did in fact mean giving Him time in your day.  It meant being disciplined to sit still before Him every single day and it meant trusting Him to be faithful in those times of prayer to help us know how to pray.  I know some people like to attain things quickly, even a super deep relationship with God, but He created it to be something where we would have to invest in the relationship in order to receive from it.  Our lives today are so busy and fast, yet our God doesn’t change to adjust to us.  We need to change to adjust to Him.  If you want to thirst and hunger for Him, you have to make the investment to get to know Him and to do that involves prayer and reading His Word.  They go hand in hand.  You need His Word to pray, to know what promises to ask for in faith, and you need to pray as a result of reading His Word, which commands us to pray without ceasing.