Wednesday, September 11, 2013

God's Grace

"I am the vine; you are the branches.  If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing."  John 15:5

I was listening to a preacher discuss God's grace versus our self confidence.  He shared about Peter's denial of Christ occurring only hours after he confidently proclaimed how he would never forsake His Lord.  How is it that he so quickly acted against his own declaration?  This preacher continued with explaining where Peter placed his confidence and trust; in his own ability and strength.  He went on to explain that in our own lives we do the same thing.  We grow confident in a decision to never do something again or to begin to do something and fail to do either and all because we have great confidence in ourselves and not in Christ.  If Peter would have recognized that his own strength can and will fail him in seeking obedience to the Lord, then he would be able to recognize the grace of God providing him strength to carry out his hearts desire.  The problem is our pride.  It's our pride that proclaims we can do things apart from God.  This message was truly a revelation for me.  I have too much pride, and I don't want to repeat Peter's behavior in my life.  But at the same time I don't won't to be the first one that proclaims "I will never do as Peter did, that would not happen to me!"  Instead the heart should remain humble, understanding how without His grace we cannot walk righteously, without His strength we cannot achieve, without His faithfulness we cannot remain faithful. It is a statement of "by His grace alone I will and can."  I think Peter was allowed to be sifted in order for him to realize that his confidence in himself was nothing to boast of.  And, like in my own life, it was God's grace that Peter had that trial in order for him to grow in this area.  "Consider it pure joy my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.  Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."  James 1:2-4  So whenever I error, I want to see it as a reminder that I can so easily fall, and that I, being not above any sinner, need His grace in my life every single day.  By His grace alone am I able to follow Him with abandonment.